Why in news?
The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has given Y plus type of security to the Indian actor Kangana Ranaut.
In India, depending on the threat perception of the person, types of security are allocated by the Home Minister based on the inputs from Intelligence agencies. There are six different types of security SPG, Z+, Z, Y+, Y and X as follow:
1. The SPG (Special Protection Group) type of security is given to the only Prime Minister of India and members of their immediate families anyplace in the world. It was formed in 1988 by an act of the Parliament of India.
2. The Z+ security is given to only 10 to 17 VIPs in the country, including PM Narendra Modi, BJP President Amit Shah etc. This is the strongest security protection cover of 36 personnel and is provided by NSG (National Security Guard) commandos along with the Railway Protection Force (RPF), the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and also local police.
3. The Z type of security is the second level of security and is provided by the Delhi Police or the ITBP or CRPF personnel along with one escort car. It covers of 22 personnel, including 4 or 5 NSG Commandos and Police Personnel.
4. The Y+ security cover, fiver personnel a CRPF commander and four constables are stationed at a protectee’s residence.
5. The Y type of security, which comes with a total of eight personnel. Five personnel (one commander, four constable) are stationed at the residence of the protectee and three are deployed with the protectee on a rational basis in three shifts.
6. The X cover with three PSOs deployed one at a time in three shifts to the protectee and no residential security. This security cover involves state police, the other four are also drawn from the central armed police forces.